I am connecting up to the social change and technology part of my persona today at Net Squared. Tomorrow I am going to be leading a session on identity in the ‘making it happen’ part of the conference.
The opening session mentioned the emergence of the Social Web – I was like wow – we have been using that to describe what happens when identity becomes part of the web.
At the conference
Seven sectors are participating:
- International NGO
- American Nonprofits
- Infratech – the big companies
- Web Services companies
- Nonprofit Technology Assitance Providers the “Helper community”
- The opening speaker is Angela Glover CEO of Policy Link – Black Woman for the opening keynote. Well it is certainly out of the norm of regular tech conferences – Hopefully the rest will be out of the box too.She began by talking about the regional context. The economy setting the stage for opportunity – not just income support and raising minimum wage but how to build wealth and assets. Technology is how we achieve what we want to achieve – in light of need for democratic participation.
She did call it two point zero…maybe that is not under Tim’s Trademark.
(almost) Direct quote from Angela Glover – We need to liberate Data – structured DATA SHARING.
- I was so excited when I heard this – I wrote and ad hoc banner for the table
- Viva – data liberation.
Free the Data Use Open Standards XDI (XRI Data Interchange)
- Beth Kanter has a picture of it.
- She closed by saying that we want people to be agents for change on their own behalf.