My friend Phil Wolff over at Skype Journal has been thinking about Social Network Stack – He had a great diagram there and describes it this way:
We need a new stack to sort out social media’s plumbing.
Introducing the Social Stack’s Six Zones of Interoperability.
* ID (Account lifecycles, Login)
* Sync (Profile, Contacts, Objects)
* Permission (Policy, Licensing)
* Find (People Search, Discovery, Gatekeepers)
* Action (Group Actions, Relationship Actions)
* Now (Alerting, Presence)
Community providers like Skype stand to gain as their architectures first recognize/design, then adopt and apply the Social Stack’s standards. As with the first stack, the Social Stack will attract:
* Engineers amazed and delighted at how convenient it is to build solutions or integrate existing systems by using well documented patterns and protocols.
* Entrepreneurs hungry for the chance to build unique value atop commodity plumbing
* Capital seeking to unleash new markets
* Consumers flying to seamless onlife experiences
Social Bookmarks says
I don’t normally leave comments… but I really enjoyed your post! I will be leaving a link back here in my blogroll! Thanks!