Kermit brought this annoucment to my attention via Twitter.
“A draft TC charter has been submitted to establish the OASIS Identity Metasystem Interoperability (IMI) Technical Committee. In accordance with the OASIS TC Process Policy section 2.2 the proposed charter is hereby submitted for comment. The comment period shall remain open until 11:45 pm ET on 7 August 2008.”
It is interesting to see who is behind the effort:.
* Abbie Barbir (Nortel)
* Adnan Onart (Nortel)
* Paul Knight (Nortel)
* Marc Goodner (Microsoft)
* Michael McIntosh (IBM)
* Anthony Nadalin, (IBM )
* John Bradley, (Individual)
* Richard (Dick) Brackney (US DoD – [NSA])
It seems like an interesting addition and in some way “counter balance” to all the activity and energy and people involved with the Information Card Foundation and Open Source Identity Systems work.
The Information Card Foundation launched around the time of Burton Group Catalyst. Here is the Information Card Foundation Community board member list:
* Kim Cameron
* Pamela Dingle
* Patrick Harding
* Andy Hodgkinson
* Ben Laurie
* Axel Nennker
* Drummond Reed
* Mary Ruddy
* Paul Trevithick
Business board members
OSIS is going into its 4th Interop at DIDW this September. Their is a huge list of participants (far to many to bullet point on this blog).
The good news is that it does what both the ICF and OSIS communities have been saying for a while is that the ISIP (the MS information card guide) needs to be a real standard — not something MS controls. This TC will support this happening.
To me it speaks to the value of the shared community meeting, collaboration and innovation space we have with the Internet Identity Workshop this November 10-12 all the more important.
I have skimmed highlights and links from the OASIS IMI TC below.
The TC will accept as input:
Identity Selector Interoperability Profile specification and associated guides as published by Microsoft, the July 2008 Web Services Addressing Endpoint References and
* Identity Selector Interoperability Profile V1.5, July 2008
* A Guide to Using the Identity Selector Interoperability Profile V1.5 within Web Applications and Browsers, July 2008
* An Implementer’s Guide to the Identity Selector Interoperability Profile V1.5, July 2008
Identity specification  published by Microsoft and IBM:
* Application Note: Web Services Addressing Endpoint References and Identity, July 2008
OSIS (Open Source Identity Systems) Feature Tests published by Identity Commons.
First Phase of TC Work will focus on producing an Identity Selector
Interoperability Profile and the supporting WS-Addressing Endpoint References and Identity specification.
* Identity Selector Interoperability Profile
* Information Card Format
* Information Card Transfer Format
* Information Card Issuance
* Token Request and Response
* Identity Provider Requirements
* Relying Party Requirements
* Self Issued Identity Provider
* Invoking Identity Selectors from Web Pages
* WS-Addressing Endpoint References and Identity
Second Phase of TC Work will work on how Information Cards work with other common claim dialects like WS-Federation 
Ongoing TC Work
The TC shall focus on interoperability test definitions and runs to validate its work on an ongoing basis.
Out of Scope for the TC
The following items are specifically out of scope of the work of the TC:
- Definition of the form and content of privacy statements.
- The establishment of trust between two or more business parties.
- Definition of new key derivation algorithms.
- Definition of claim type transformation rules or mappings to other formats
The TC will not attempt to define concepts or renderings for functions that are of wider applicability including but not limited to:
* Policy language frameworks and attachment mechanisms
* Reliable message exchange
* Transactions and compensation
* Secure Conversations
* Metadata Exchange
* Resource Transfer